Leticia Amazonas is a city located in the middle of the jungle and is the capital of the Colombian Amazonas State. As tourism increase more than 40% due to the ending of the war, we didnt got prepare for only english speaking tourism and thats why is really important the volunteers now in the Amazon.
As tourism grew after the peace treatment with the Farc, Colombia became a hot spot for foreigners travelers. Every year more people come to visit our country but English is now a big problem. We didn’t got prepare and now we urgently need volunteers to translate Spanish to English or Spanish to German.
AmazonsJungleTours.com – Who we are
We are a family tour operator in Leticia Amazonas, we do amazing 4 day to 3 day tour experience in the middle of the jungle. Our company is rated #1 in tripadvisor and we aim to be the best tour operator in the Amazonas. Our tourism is 100% based on community tourism creating new jobs in the remote areas of our region.
What is the volunteer role?
Your primary role will be translating Spanish to English for tours ranging from 2 to 4 days. However, in reality you will act as a kind of tour rep – collecting guests from the pier on arrival, checking them into the hotel, escorting them to and from dinner etc. You will be the main point of contact for your tour group during their stay in Puerto Nariño.
How many volunteer can we host?
We can host up to 5 volunteers
Accomodation and food
We provide a private room with shared bathroom and 3 meals per day (breakfast – lunch – dinner).
The majority of translators will be accommodated in a private room within a shared house owned by Sergio in the centre of Puerto Nariño. If the house is full, translators will be accommodated in a hotel until a room becomes available. Accommodation includes a shared bathroom and laundry service.
What is the job?
Mainly we do is 4 or 3 day trips in which you have to translate the tours and be with the native guide. Our tour info you can find it here www.amazonasjungletours.com
What to expect volunteering?
Expect the unexpected! At Amazonas Jungle Tours, every tour is different. Activities can change due to the weather or unusual events. We ask you to be flexible but don’t worry, we are here to make sure you see as much as possible! We always try to include the following activities:
- Guided walk through the jungle (day)
- Guided walk through the jungle (night)
- Visit to indigenous village
- Overnight stay in indigenous village
- Indigenous community activities
- Flora explanation
- Dolphin watching by boat
- Monkey Spotting
- Bird Watching
- Piranha fishing (season dependent)
- Night boat trip to look for Caymans (small alligators)
- Kayaking at lakes, flooded jungle and rivers
- Walk to Mirador and visit local museum
Leticia Amazonas Tour Itineraries
The format for the tours often varies but in gernral, the following plan is used:
- Be at the pier before the boat arrives, to await the tourists
- Tourists check into hotel (currently Hotel Manguare but may change)
- Puerto Nariño jungle walk to Reserve to see pirarukú (large fish) and caiman
- Dolphin watching by boat
- Puerto Nariño night walk to find insects
- Boat to Tarapoto after breakfast
- Tarapoto jungle walk with local guide
- Piranha fishing
- Caiman catching in the evening
- Return to Puerto Nariño for breakfast
- Boat to San Antonio, Peru
- Jungle walk to huge hojé tree
- Kayaking / mirador + ice-cream / Natütumá museum
- Kayaking and wake-boarding / any other activities they haven’t already done
- Accompany tourists to port for departure.
Recommendationfrom previous volunteers
- Return Flight: Book your return flight before you reach PuertoNarino. The internet is very unreliable and usually only supports messagingservices. get a map of Puerto Nariño when you arrive on the pier
- Clothing: Bring long sleeve, loose fitting clothing. Slightlythicker material for tshrts etc will help with mosquito protection. Lightercolours are better as black can attract mosquitos. Collect a poncho and rubberboots from the office before arrival in Puerto Nariño.
- Repellent: Available to buy in Puerto Nariño but stronger deetbased products can be bought in Letcia.
- Water: There is no potable water in Puerto Nariño. Collecta 4.5L bottle from the office in Leticia prior to departure. This can berefilled for free if you get a factura in the name of Daniel Rojas. Water over600ml is only available in large bags in Puerto Nariño so keep your largebottle for refills.
- Free time: It is possible to borow books from the library –just inform them you work for Sergio Rojas.
Our local guides are all Spanish speakers and we have to translate in english for the visitors